17 September 2017

Pack of the Day 174: Value Pack of 2017 Panini Donruss Football

Since today was football day, I guess I'll do up a post on some NFL cards. My fantasy football team had a pretty rough go of it this week, but I'll bounce back. It's an office league, so I'll probably have to endure a little trash talk tomorrow, but at least the Broncos won in a convincing fashion against the Cowboys. That takes some of the sting off.


I grabbed this very wrinkled rack pack of 2017 Panini Donruss cards at Walmart a little while ago. There were 30 cards in the pack, but I didn't scan all of them. There are a lot of inserts and parallels and parallels of inserts in this product, but there are never any odds on Panini's packs, so I didn't bother to scan the back.


Here is the front and back of Von Miller's base card for an overview of the design. I like this design pretty well, although it suffers from the usual Panini problem of featuring minimal stats on the back. I know that all the stats in the world can be found online, but I would like to see a player's career in year-by-year lines with totals at the bottom on the back of a trading card.


These are the base cards I decided to scan. The set has retired guys mixed into the checklist. I read somewhere that each team has one retired guy in the set. I didn't bother to look over the checklist and confirm that. One theme in this pack was guys pictured in Bills uniforms with logos and colors from their new teams. I did like pulling an Adam Vinatieri card. I want to see kickers and punters and linemen in my sets.


The four cards across the top of this scan are the Blue Press Proofs promised on the front of the pack. Along the bottom are the non-standard cards from the pack. That Chris Godwin The Elite Series card is pretty wild with all the patterning. I also got a couple of Rated Rookies and one rookie card of Zach Cunningham. I'm guessing that rookie cards are short printed in this set, which is a pain in the butt for set collectors.

That's it for this one. I like the look of the product, but football cards just don't grab me the way that cards from other sports do. I will probably continue to grab a pack or two of football cards each year, but I can't see myself collecting sets or anything.

6 comments:

  1. "I want to see kickers and punters and linemen in my sets."

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of collectors want sets that reflect the entirety of the respective league, but they probably don't spend as much collectively as the star-and-rookie-loving hit-obsessed big dollar ballers. It would be nice to have one product that catered to the crowd that wants everybody on a card.

      Delete
  2. I like the inclusion of the legends. I'm not old, I'm a legend.

    ReplyDelete