05 December 2017

A Hobby Box of 2016 Topps WWE Heritage

A few months ago I ordered some boxes from Dave & Adam's Card World. One of the boxes I ordered was a Hobby box of 2016 Topps WWE Heritage. I didn't know a whole lot about the product outside of the boxes being relatively affordable and promising two hits.


Here's a look at some of the base cards and inserts from the box. This set is based on the 1986 Topps Baseball design, with cards for current wrestlers, legends, and NXT. It also has the same subsets as the 1986 Baseball set has, with Record Breakers, Turn Back the Clock, and All-Stars. I didn't scan the card backs for these, but you can see the basic card back below where I scanned the parallels from the box.


I pulled a Bronze parallel and a Silver parallel from the box. The Bronze card is a Legend base card featuring Lita. It is numbered # 01 / 99. Not to spoil the stuff that I haven't shown yet, but the Bayley Silver parallel was probably the best card in the box. It's numbered # 40 / 50.


The insert set that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the product is The Rock Tribute set. Each year Topps does some of these sets that run through several products, highlighting the careers of big name wrestlers. Hobby boxes of Heritage in 2016 had cards 21-30 of this set, with the other cards in the set being packaged in other products. They were seeded 1:6 packs, so I got four of them.


One of my hits was a manufactured patch of Terry Funk. This is the base version, numbered # 053 / 299. I know manufactured relics have been around for a while, but I hate pulling them as 'hits.' They have their place, maybe as a bonus in a blaster box, but whenever I pull one as a promised hit card in a box, I feel a little irritated. I guess I should have read up a little more on the product before I pulled the trigger on this box.


The other hit in the box was a Silver parallel autograph of Tatanka, numbered # 19 / 50. This card isn't going to set the world on fire, but it's an on-card autograph that fetches $8-10 on eBay.

There wasn't anything super exciting about this break, but I like the look and feel of this set, and it was cool to pull a nice Bayley parallel for my collection of her cards. I like the on-card autographs, and I like seeing the Legends especially on this older card design.

I made a pretty big Black Friday/Cyber Monday week order on Blowout cards a few days ago. It was a lot of boxes of cards, and because of the size of the order I wanted to stretch out the break so that I don't just open all of the cards in one day. One blogger who's really good at stretching breaks out is Chris over at Nachos Grande, but I can't slow roll quite as slowly as he does. There are limits to my impulse control. I finally decided to break things up by the number of hits per box, so for a normal box with a couple of hits in it, I might open 8 packs, but for a high-end box with a hit per pack I might only open one pack. After I broke each box down into slots, I put them through a randomizer so that I open one slot per day until they are all gone. That means I get to open something every day for almost two months, and more often than not it will be something different each day. I hope I can stick to the plan.

Then today, Topps announced a sale of the day on a bunch of WWE and UFC card products. The big prizes in that sale were hobby boxes of 2017 WWE Undisputed and 2017 UFC Knockout at about 25% less than the big online retailers sell them for. The WWE Undisputed cards sold out ridiculously fast, but I managed to grab two boxes of UFC Knockout. I'll be adding them to my randomized list, too. There's some other okay stuff on sale, like Hobby boxes of 2017 WWE Heritage for $42 and boxes of the online-exclusive WWE NXT and UFC Fire for 50% off. I don't know how long the deals last, but if you're into wrestling or UFC cards it might be worth a visit to the Topps site. There's a Deal of the Day link on the front page that will take you there.

2 comments:

  1. Manufactured patches have no right to be considered "hits" in a hobby box. If they are then boxes should be re-priced downward accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The market tends to push prices on these WWE Heritage boxes down pretty quickly, probably due to things like this.

      Delete